Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Warszawa, Part 3: Day Two and the Departure

Saturday was a much more relaxing day in Poland. After the late night out in downtown Warsaw, I slept comfortably on my huge air mattress so wonderfully provided by Anna and her sister. I had slept in until almost 11:00, and was greatly needed. Between an uncomfortable night on the train, walking around Warsaw the day before, and dancing in the cellar of who knows where, I needed the extra hours of sleep. Anna again played the role of the good host, and made a delicious breakfast of breads, cheeses, meats, and jellies. We then got ready to go out to do some more sightseeing.

Our main event for the day was a visit to the Muzeum Powstania Warszawskiego, or the Warsaw Uprising Museum. The museum is a tribute to the uprising that took place in 1944 of the civilians and military in Warsaw defending their town against the Nazi invasion. At the heart of the museum was a large wall that emanated a loud heartbeat and sounds of the uprising as a tribute to those involved. The museum also contained several moving exhibits that gave lots of information on all aspects of the Uprising. It was a really good experience, as in the US, Polish history is not generally taught in normal studies. It was a good opportunity for me to learn more about the place that I was visiting.

After the museum, Anna and I went off to a restaurant, one of her favorites, called the Greenway. It was actually a vegetarian restaurant, and even though she is not a vegetarian, she is quite the health nut. The food was a lot to eat, not too expensive, and my vegetarian enchilada was actually quite tasty. I didn’t know what to order, but that is what the cook said that most people from “England” order. Anna did me the favor of correcting him, but I ordered the enchilada anyways! 

Our next stop for our sightseeing was the Łazienki Park, which is said to be Warsaw’s most beautiful, and I am definitely not one to argue. Although Łazienki actually means “bathroom” making it the “Bathroom Park”, it was one of the most odd, yet pleasing parks I have ever been in. It was established in the 17th century and lies in the middle of the city. The park is absolutely huge with winding trails, old trees, and several old fashioned, beautiful buildings nestled into green corners. We walked through the park, and actually got a little bit lost because it is so ginormous (not a real word, I know), and then went home because it was raining, and a bit chilly.

Speaking of the weather- I suppose it is a stereotype of Poland to imagine it as a constantly cold place. Summers are apparently quite nice there, but I brought the cold weather with me, or actually Hanna did. That’s right, what was left from Hurricane Hanna in the US, had floated it’s way across the ocean, and brought with it cold weather and rain. The weather in Germany and Poland was surprisingly abnormal, and not so pleasant. Although the weather was not perfect during my trip, it didn’t keep us from having fun.

After taking a rest back again at Anna’s apartment, we went out with some of her friends again to a restaurant called Tam Tam in the Old Town for a drink and talking. After that, we went early back home once more, to wake up for my departure home.
Although the night train seemed quick because I could sleep the whole way, the train back was twelve hours of absolutely nothing special. It was just a long trip home, and took up the entire day. 

It was definitely a great trip to Poland, and I am really glad that I got to see Anna again, which was the most important part of my trip. Even though I hadn’t seen her in over two years, it was just like our friendship had never parted. I am really looking forward to the next time that I can visit again.

Thanks for reading! That is the end of my Warsaw posts, and I hope that it wasn’t too long. As always, comments are appreciated, and welcome! More posts coming soon!

No comments: